KATTWALK™ Aluminum Rooftop Walkway Systems
Provide Safe, Designated Access Around the Rooftop Environment.
KATTWALK™ permanent walkway is a lightweight, non-corrosive aluminum walkway system which provides safe, designated access around the rooftop environment.
It offers a great way to help your workers stay safe, meets OSHA walkway requirements, and provides easier access to equipment.
The mill finish aluminum material ensures excellent aesthetics that complement the architecture of any building.
These walkway systems are held in stock, ready to ship and can be customized on-site to meet your requirements.
Walkway Safety Systems
KATTWALK™ is built for safety and flexibility. It uses high-tensile-strength aluminum that’s both lightweight and durable, making it long-lasting and easy to install. We supply KATTWALK™ in various lengths, and we cut the panels to length and angle on-site according to your rooftop’s size and shape.
Fasteners are also selected according to the roof at hand. Metal roof panels usually use specialist rivets with the walkway batten, and standing seam roof profiles typically use non-penetrating clamps. The non-penetrating walkway system is suited for membrane and built-up roof systems.
KATTWALK™ aluminum access walkways add safety in several different ways. The walkway levels out slanted or rough rooftops, providing a sturdy, stable surface for workers to cross. At the same time, it creates a high-grip surface that’s perfect for work boots to grab onto and gain secure traction, even in wet or rainy conditions. With a KATTGUARD™ guardrail attached, workers can also rely on a grab bar to help them stay steady as they cross the roof. This feature is particularly useful in windy weather.
Why Use an Aluminum Walkway System?
Aluminum roof access walkways for safety are often a key part of creating a safe environment for people working at heights. They can also be a big help from a business standpoint. Here’s how:
- They keep you compliant. Most rooftop work needs to comply with standards from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), so having the right safety features in place can help you rest easier knowing your workers are better protected. Our walkway systems satisfy OSHA walkway requirements, to help keep your workers safe and construction standards high. You can also combine our aluminum walkway systems with other safety features, like guardrails and fall protection systems.
- They protect your roof. Foot traffic across the roof can contribute to early wear and uneven degradation. KATTWALK™ aluminum walkways provide more even distribution and keep foot traffic off the rooftop.
- They’ll make equipment easier to access. The harder it is to get to your equipment, the less likely it is to get taken care of — and the riskier the job will ultimately be. An aluminum access walkway makes it much easier to get to tools and machinery, a factor that’s essential for regularly-accessed components.
- They significantly increase safety.An aluminum rooftop walkway system offers workers much safer access to your building’s roof than most antiquated surfaces. The aluminum walkway surface provides them more comfort since it eliminates many risks associated with trips and falls. Rooftop walkways also provide safer access, corrosion resistance and slip resistance when surfaces may be wet or icy from inclement weather.
You can easily incorporate KATTGUARD™ modular guardrails on one or both sides of the walkway systems. Between our walkways, guardrails and high-traction mats, you can create a safer rooftop environment for workers that offers support for poor weather, uneven surfaces and general movement.
Meeting OSHA Standards With a FIXFAST USA Rooftop Walkway System
OSHA 1910 specifies general industry requirements when using walking-working surfaces on a roof with a low slope or at least a 4-foot height, including:
- Standard fall protection — like a fall arrest system, guardrail or fall restraint system — when working 6 feet or less from the edge.
- Standard fall protection when working 6 to 15 feet from the edge. Designating the area as potentially hazardous is acceptable if the work is infrequent or temporary.
- Although not required, OSHA recommends standard fall protection at 15 feet or more from the edge.
Additional OSHA Walkway Requirements
OSHA Section 1910.22 specifies the requirements for walking-working surfaces, which includes rooftop walkway systems. Employers must ensure that roof access walkways are slip-resistant, free from potential fall hazards and structurally sound. Some specific criteria include the following:
- Cleanliness: OSHA standard 1910.22(a)(1) states that all places of employment, including storerooms, service rooms, passageways and walking-working surfaces, should be clean, orderly and sanitary.
- Hazard-free environments: OSHA standard 1910.22(a)(3) requires that rooftop walkways be free of hazards like loose boards, sharp or protruding objects, corrosion, spills, leaks, snow and ice.
- Load capacity: OSHA standard 1910.22(b) states the employer must ensure all walking-working surfaces can support maximum intended loads.
- Access and egress: OSHA standard 1910.22(c) requires employers to provide employees with a safe means of access and departure to and from walking-working surfaces. Employers must also ensure employees use these access and departure points.
- Inspection: OSHA standard 1910.22(d)(1) requires that roof access walkways undergo regular inspection and maintenance.
- Repair: OSHA 1910.22(d)(2) states that employers must correct or repair hazardous conditions on walking-working surfaces before an employee uses the walkway. If the employer cannot repair the hazard immediately, it must take the necessary measures to prevent employees from using the surface until it’s fixed. Additionally, only qualified personnel can perform the repairs.
Helping You Stay Compliant With Regulations
FIXFAST USA offers several programs to help you comply with all standards and regulations, including High Five™ and KATTCARE™. The High Five program is a five-phase strategy that addresses accident prevention by identifying potential problems and risks around your job site. KATTCARE ensures your equipment will function optimally after installation.
The KATTWALK™ Difference
KATTWALK™ delivers durability and ease of use from the experienced pros at FIXFAST USA. We’ve been building rooftop safety solutions since 1975 as a family-owned business that prioritizes the quality of life-saving equipment. We also make sure it’s easy for businesses to implement these important products with simple installation and flexible designs. KATTWALK™ aluminum access walkways are no exception — we can work with your building and provide a solution to meet your needs.